Solar PV Systems
There are mainly two types of solar PV systems
- On-Grid Solar Power Systems and
- Off-Grid Solar Power Systems
What are Grid Tied Systems
A Grid-Tied Solar Power System, also called On-Grid Photovoltaic (PV) System is an autonomous electrical generation system which connects to the mains to feed excess capacity back to the local electrical grid.
When insufficient electricity is available, electricity drawn from the mains grid can make up the shortfall. Conversely when excess electricity is available, it is sent to the mains grid.
The Grid Connected Photovoltaic System comprises of the following items:
- SPV power source
- Inverter (PCU)
- Mounting Structures
- AC and DC power cables with appropriate connectors
- Junction Boxes and Combiner Boxes with statutory safety and protection devices
- Accelerated Depreciation at 40%
- Exemption from Wheeling and Banking Charges
- No Corporation or Municipal clearance required for erecting Solar Panels on Roofs
- State government subsidy in certain States
- Bank Loans from PSUs like SBI and PNB at reduced interest rates
What are Off Grid Systems
Sun’s energy falls on the solar panels and is converted into electrical energy and stores it in batteries. The batteries are converted to an inverter which converts it to usable power supply – DC to AC power for appliance and devices. The amount of power produced depends on the number of panels installed.
The main components of an Off-Grid Solar Power System are :
- Solar Panels
- Solar inverter
- Charge Controller
- Solar cables
- Mounting Structure
- Battery Bank
There are, presently, no government benefits / subsidies for off-grid solar systems.
If power cuts are few – on grid, more power cuts, review off grid is better. You may contact us if you would like to know more about the choice of power system.
Detailed comparison in the table below.
The section below details some of the differences, to help the consumer make a choice.
Detailed comparision of the Grid systems
Grid Tied Systems
Off Grid systems
- Also Known as Grid-tied Solar Powerr,it is Solar PV system that supplies Power to the electricity grid.
- Has No Batteries.All the energy is Directly sent to the grid.
- An off -grid solar power systems is a stand-alone,solar,powered UPS.
- The solar electricity produced is not sent to the grid but is stores in batteries to supply it back to the load when necessary
- Ideal for local where there are few power cuts during the day.
- For example-Urban Areas,District capitals
- When the sun goes down and solar power is not available ,electricity form the gird has to be used.
- Idea for place without reliable power.
- For Example rural ares,Farm house.
- The system works independent of the grid sience the solar power produced is stored in batteries ,which can be used at night.
- Offsets and reduces a custmer’s electricity expanses.
- Increase in government elecricity traiff does not affect consumer.
- less expensive than off-frid systems-as they do not rquire batteries to store energy.The Electricial grid energy and acts as the backup.
- lower maintenance cost compares to off grid systems.
- contrubutes to the environment bt reducing the need for fossil fuel based power sources.
- No power cuts, science the system is not dependent on the electricity grid.
- Immune to increase in electricity Tariff.
- No damage to electrical appliances due to voltage fluctuations science the system is not connected to the grid.
- Battery maintenance is higher and will need replacement over time.
- off-grid systems provide flexibility as they are expandable and the units are modular.